ČeskyDeutschEnglish

Info Dubi - offer tours, events and attractions  /  Place

City Guide Dubi and surroundings



Area

Categories

Intended for


Area

Categories

Area

Categories

Area

Categories

Area

Categories

GPS:
50°41'9.40"N, 13°47'1.54"E

Points of interest: Sport, Culture, Nature

Intended for: Family, Able-bodied tourist, Senior, wheelchair, school groups

How: by car, cycling, on foot, cross-country skiing, on inline skates, Invalid Chair

Practical information:

Web: www.laznedubi.cz

Email: recepce@laznedubi.cz

Phone: +420 725 499 115

Address: Lázeňská 21, 417 01 Dubí

Dubi map and surroundings

I am reading map…

The Spa industry in Dubí

The Spa industry in Dubí

The Spa industry in DubíThe Spa industry in DubíThe Spa industry in DubíThe Spa industry in DubíThe Spa industry in DubíThe Spa industry in DubíThe Spa industry in Dubí

History of the spa industry in Dubí

The Diana Spa
Dubí has been a spa town since 1872, but the spa industry started to develop even earlier, when, in 1860, Anton Schinkel, a factory owner, took a liking to the local highland climate. Not only did he establish a porcelain-making factory, but together with Josef Löschner, a balneologist, built a climatic spa. In July of 1861, he bought an old 17th -century inn called Diana, had it refurbished and a new building built next to it in 1872, a hydrotherapeutic institute with the traditional name the Diana Baths. The spa doctor lived in a house above the spa. Thus a complex of three buildings were developed as well as a small square, called Spa Square. Patients used this complex until 1885. Today, there is a road leading to a housing estate in this place. The main means of therapy in the Diana Spa were baths in warm or cold water, to which fir a pine needles were added. Walks around the woody and hilly surroundings also became a part of the treatment. That was why the owner started building a large park close to the spa buildings and Dubí got new promenade walks and well-designed tree alleys. In 1881, Anton Schinkel opened also a therapeutic dairy institute, where patients could undergo a dairy treatment drinking milk and whey from the cattle bred in a farmyard belonging to the spa.

 

Dr. Brecher's Hydrotherapeutic Institute
In 1871, Alois Brecher, a medical doctor, built Dr. Brecher's Hydrotherapeutic Institute where he used Victor Priessnitz's therapeutic methods which were very popular in those days. Alois Brecher, MD, came to Dubí in the 1860s from Teplice where he had worked as a spa doctor, and he continued working as a physician in the Diana Baths. In 1870, he bought some land in the place of todays' spa park from Florián Walter, a miller, and built his own hydrotherapeutic institution. Water was brought in by wooden troughs from a spring in the nearby mountainside and filled pools and tanks from which the water was brought to showers. The pioneers of natural treatment at those times believed in the regenerating power of water baths. A lot of spa guests also drank the water, believing in its internal healing effects. The treatment was complemented by walks in the surroundings and exercise in general. Frugal diet, staying in the fresh air and sun were also supposed to help.

 

The Tereza Spa
Another spa entrepreneur was Thomas Nowak, the engineer and builder of the Moldava railway line, who quickly realised that better accessibility of Dubí would improve interest in the local spa. In 1877, when the railway line reached the village of Hrob, he bought land and the Fir Mill. Nowak had all the old buildings demolished and built a new spa building in their place where the first guests were welcomed on 30th May 1879. The comfortable spa was built in a Swiss style and become the dominating feature of the village. Two years later, he had another wing of the spa built and connected both wings with a terrace, so there was one big building. In honour of his wife, he named it the Tereza Spa. Nowak's therapeutic facility offered its guests cold, warm, steam and peat baths.

 

The Clary-Aldringens Acquire the Spa in Dubí
In 1882 prince Edmund Clary-Aldringen acquired all the spas in Dubí. This aristocratic entrepreneur realised that the climatic spa in Dubí doesn't have to compete with the spa facility in Teplice, but could expand his business. He correctly evaluated the attractiveness of the natural beauty of the surroundings of Dubí, and also the advantageous location between the cities of Prague and Drážďany (Dresden). So he enlarged the spa and equipped it luxuriously, so that it would be attractive for rich clientele. In 1894, Karola the Queen of Saxony and her numerous entourage visited the spa, and patients from northern America were also treated. Among the Czech celebrities who visited were Jan Neruda, the writer, Václav Tailich, the conductor and Oldřich Nový, the actor.
Dubí acquired a reputation of a popular destination with a relaxing climate where, in the beautiful surroundings of pleasant inns, imposing villas, pensions and spa buildings, orchards and parks with fresh air, people regained their health and calmness. With a growing numbers of spa guests, the need for transport also grew. Transport from Teplice was provided by horses and carriages at first and from the 1870s, a regular horse drawn railway service, which in 1882 ran between Teplice and Dubí 16 times a day. From 1884 the spa guests were able to arrive by railway and in 1895 a tram line connected Dubí to Teplice. The electric narrow-gauge railway was the first of its kind in Austria-Hungary and the service ran until 1959; the last tram departed from Teplice to Upper (Horní) Dubí on 31st January.

 

The Spa in 20th Century
Because of financial reasons, the Clary-Aldringens were forced to sell the spa in 1920 to a joint stock company owned by a number of industrialists (Jiří Schicht from Ústí nad Labem was among them). The company owned the spa until 1945 and during the short time turned it into a modern sanatorium for treating internal and neurotic diseases. The patients could use tennis courts and swimming pools and another wing with a gymnasium was also built. In 1945, the spa was confiscated by a decree of president Beneš. The first patients after the war were soviet soldiers and prisoners from Terezín. Next, miners from northern Bohemia were treated there. At the end of 1980s, the spa complex underwent a thorough refurbishment.

 

The Tereza Spa Today

The modern history of today's spa began in 2008 when the current owners reconstructed the buildings and their interiors and re-established the service under the name of Tereziny lázně Dubí, a.s. (Tereza Spa, Inc.). Today, the Tereza Spa focuses on the treatment of neurotic diseases, motor organs problems and mis-diagnosis. All programmes for spa guests are prepared individually and based on a medical examination and kinesiology analysis of each guest so that the best possible healing effect can be reached. Rehabilitation care is complemented by balneo-operation, electrotherapy and thermotherapy. The main treatment method is individual exercise which is done by professionally educated physiotherapists. Analytic exercise is conducted according the results of muscle tests. From the wide range of methods, in the Tereza Spa, the most used are the Kabat Method, Bobath Concept (for the conditions after cerebral stroke), core stability exercise (e. g. for painful spine conditions), Brugger back School or foot corrections (for acquired and congenital foot deformities). An important part of treatment is peat, which thanks to its composition and heat conductivity significantly helps to treat motor organs diseases. It is used for whole and partial baths and also for wraps and poultice.

 

The Spa Complex
The complex of buildings looks like the letter Y upside down.  The entrance to the spa from the south-east takes you to a picturesque courtyard with greenery, a fountain and a statue of a girl, which lines the arcades of the spa building. In the northern part there is a garden with a pool, greenhouses and paved paths for peaceful walks of the spa guests. The spa complex covers nearly 3 hectares with its own forest park which offers easy and open terrain, a sunbathing area, a tennis court, a mini-golf course and outside heated pool. All the facilities offer full wheelchair access. The hydrotherapy centre and the pool are equipped with elevating devices and all the services are available under one roof. The accommodating capacity of the spa is 236 beds in 134 single, double and triple rooms of different categories, and in apartments. Some of them offer access to terraces; other rooms have their own balcony or a view of the forest park. Among the standard equipment of the rooms are bathrooms, toilets, LCD TVs with cable TV connections offering a wide range of programmes, fridges, telephones and modern interior equipment.

 

Senior Home Tereza Residence
From 2012 the Senior Home Tereza Residence is also a part of the Tereza Spa. It is designed as an integrated institution for social and health care. The Tereza Residence also has wheelchair access and extensive rehabilitative care is also very important there. Apart from the care of qualified rehabilitative workers, the clients are also offered the possibility of using all the spa services, to which also belong the departments of electrotherapy, hydrotherapy (22 baths), thermotherapy, magnetotherapy, all with modern equipment, and an inside pool and rehabilitative department with seven exercise rooms for individual rehabilitative exercise and a gym.
The senior home, connected with the Tereza Spa is designed to meet the needs of even the most demanding guests. The institution is suitable mainly for seniors and persons with physical disorders who, because of their health condition require greater all-day care and help of another person, e. g. for people suffering from motor organ diseases, neurological diseases, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease or other old-age dementia. The services offered are designed for both seniors and younger persons (from 27 years of age) with physical disorders (multiple sclerosis and cerebral strokes).

Realizace - NOESIS